• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Boys soccer tournament- March 29th-30th @West
  • Women of Troy relays- March 26th home@4:30
  • Chamber ensemble concert- March 28th- Band room@7:00
  • Senior poets: send poems to Mr. Robins
  • College fair Wednesday in Cafeteria
  • Girls soccer vs. North Scott- Tuesday JV@5:30 V@7:00

Jane Lam
Jane Lam
Print Assistant Copy Editor

(she/her) Jane Lam is a senior at West High. This is her third year on staff reporting for the print publication. As an assistant copy editor, she loves the little details. Outside of the newsroom, you...

One for the ages, The 2013 World Series

By Aaron Carter

The 2013 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals has been a roller coaster, and that is an understatement. The power has been shifting each and every game, and each and every inning. The Red Sox is using the power of the beards to supply their energy, while the Cardinals are hoping to win one for the veteran Carlos Beltran, who is just making his first World Series appearance throughout his illustrious career.

Game 3 in St. Louis ended in a Cardinals victory by a very rare obstruction call, and Game 4 ended with a rare pick off by Red Sox closer Koji Uehara. Uehara made his surprise move over to first base to pick off Rookie infielder Kolten Wong. This clinched Uehara’s second save of the World Series, his seventh of the post-season and also tied the series at 2-2.

Now the teams are heading back to Boston, with the Red Sox leading the series 3-2. It seems as if Boston has the advantage, only having to win one of the next two games at home and putting the ball in the hands of the red hot John Lackey for Game 6. The person that is standing in their way, Michael Wacha, may in fact be hotter than Lackey. The rookie, who was born surprisingly enough in Iowa City, spent most of his season down in the Minor Leagues with the Triple-A Affiliate Memphis Redbirds. Mike Matheny, the manager of the Cardinals, has been itching to bring up Wacha from the beginning of the season, but was reminded by the general manager, John Mozeliak, of what happened to Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals pitcher just a year ago. The patience seems to have paid off, as Wacha has put up ridiculous post-season numbers. He has posted a 4-0 record, with a 1.00 ERA and 28 strikeouts, and has come close to throwing a no-hitter. Wacha even took one into the 8th inning in the playoffs (Game 4 @ Pittsburgh).

Wacha will face the veteran John Lackey in Game 6, a rematch of Game 2, which the Cardinals won in Boston. If necessary, Game 7 will be a match up between Joe Kelly and Jake Peavy. This is a rematch of Game 3, which the Cardinals also won. Also, the last time the Cardinals were down 3-2 in a World Series was 2011. They ended up winning, so there is reason for Cardinal fans to have faith in a victory.

I myself, being a Cardinals fan, hope they can pull off these last two wins on enemy turf. The main key for the Cardinals is to get their offense going. They led the National League in the regular season, but have struggled during the post-season. The offense for the Red Sox can be summed up in two words: David Ortiz. Ortiz has had a monster World Series, a .733 batting average, 2 home runs, and 6 RBI. Ortiz has 11 hits in his 15 at bats during the World Series, and is also motivating his team when he is not at the plate.

Keeping in mind my favoritism of the Cardinals, it is tough for me to say what I predict the outcome will be, but from an unbiased standpoint I believe that the Cardinals can do what seems impossible: win Game 6 & 7 on the road. The young pitching will show up big, and they will find a way to slow down Big Papi (David Ortiz). Carlos Beltran will earn his first World Series ring after being in baseball for so long, and the Cardinals will bring back their National League best 12th World Series title to St. Louis.

$1385
$1000

$1385
$1000

One for the ages, The 2013 World Series