(She/her) Grace Bartlett is a Junior at West High. This is her first year on staff, and she is a reporter. Outside of the newsroom, she enjoys cheerleading, reading, and hanging out with friends!

DIY Halloween decorations

With Halloween just around the corner, some people are woefully unprepared for the trick-or-treaters that will arrive at their doorsteps this Friday evening.  Halloween decorations are not just for the children, though.  They’re great for any spooky parties you might throw, and they’re also fun just to spice up your bedroom a little bit.  Here are some very simple decorations that you can make in under 10 minutes with things that you probably already have in your house.

DIY Spider Web

You will need:
  • Black Garbage Bag
  • Scissors
  • Marker
  • Tape

Cut your bag into a square, making sure the sides aren’t still attached.  It doesn’t have to be perfect, but you should end up with two approximate square shapes.  Fold it in half diagonally, then twice again like you’re going to make a snowflake.  Trace the spider web shape onto it, tape the edges closed, and cut.  When you’re done, unfold it, and hang it on a wall or window to give anything a spooky feel.

DIY Hanging Bat
You will need:

• Black Construction Paper
  • Scissors
  • Tape
  • Marker

Trace out a bat shape on a separate piece of paper, and use it as a stencil for the real thing.  Cut it out on the construction paper, and there you have it.  A simple decoration that you can use for all kinds of things.  Put it on windows and walls, hang it from mantles and doorways, or even place it on the inside of a lamp for a spooky silhouette.  The possibilities are endless!

$1400
$1000

Lily Westemeyer
Lily Westemeyer, Co-Design Editor
Lily is a junior, and this is her second year on staff. She is a design co-editor on staff and an avid lover of dogs.
$1400
$1000

DIY Halloween decorations