• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Reem Kirja 25
Reem Kirja
Print Profiles Editor

(She/her) Reem Kirja is the West Side Story print Profiles Editor and this is her second year on staff. She enjoys exploring different world issues and having intellectual discussions to learn about other...

National Pacemaker awards

The National Pacemaker Awards has named the West Side Story as one of fifteen newsmagazines to be a finalist. The National Pacemaker Awards only names fifteen worldwide. The last time the WSS was a finalist was in 2006-2007. The WSS is also the only school in Iowa to be named a finalist.

Not only was the WSS named a finalist, but two WSS alums and a current member have been individually recognized for their excellence in journalism. Former WSS members, Jojo Silverman ’11 and Elizabeth Lin ’11, have been named finalists for “Design of the Year” for their covers in the bullying issue last year.

Current editor-in-chief, Eleanor Marshall ’12 was also given “Honorable Mention in Diversity” for her article “Behind the Veil.” The National Pacemaker Awards names ten honorable mentions. Marshall says that out of all the WSS articles she’s written, it’s her favorite.

“I liked the interview. There were so many points of views. They shared what the hijab meant to them and how it’s religious with or without wearing it,” said Marshall.

The National Pacemaker Awards is known as one of the biggest honors for student journalists. The WSS staff will be recognized at the Minneapolis Journalism Convention in November. Congrats to the 2010-2011 WSS staff!

http://studentpress.org/nspa/winners/design11.html

http://tinyurl.com/42uvthq

View Comments (1)
$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

Activate Search
National Pacemaker awards