• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Boys soccer tournament- March 29th-30th @West
  • Women of Troy relays- March 26th home@4:30
  • Chamber ensemble concert- March 28th- Band room@7:00
  • Senior poets: send poems to Mr. Robins
  • College fair Wednesday in Cafeteria
  • Girls soccer vs. North Scott- Tuesday JV@5:30 V@7:00

McKenna Stephens
McKenna Stephens
Designer, Photographer

(she/her) McKenna is a senior and this will be her second year on staff. She is a designer and photographer for WSS. McKenna is also involved in show choir, dance and theater.

West volleyball defeats rival, back to back state champs

Third times a charm is probably one saying that was running through the heads of the City High volleyball team on Saturday as they hoped to beat the defending state champion, West High, in the finals of the state tournament. That was the third match between the two rival teams this season and the previous two had both been won by West High.  Luckily the popular saying didn’t hold true this year as the Women of Troy came back from a 2-0 game deficit to win the whole tournament.

“I can’t even describe how it feels being back to back state champs. We over came all odds and we pulled through and got it done. It’s the best feeling in the world,” said Shelly Stumpff ‘12, captain of the all tournament team.

http://photos.adamcanady.com

View more photos here

After 2 close games the team was down by 2 before they kicked it into gear and won the last 3 games.
“Even after losing the first 2 games, in our huddle we were like ‘so, we are still going to win’. I never had any doubts,” said Olivia Fairfield ‘12, a four year-varsity player for the team.
What makes this feat of athleticism even more amazing is the fact that the team lost a key player, Caroline Found ’12, only three months ago. Found was the starting setter for the team last year.

http://photos.adamcanady.com

“(…) It meant so much more to do it for Line. (It) was almost a relief to finally reach our goals and achieve Line’s dream,” said Kelley Fliehler ‘12

http://photos.adamcanady.com

After West High’s two past successful seasons other teams around the state may be thinking 2012 is their year to win the tournament, there’s no way West could win for a third year in a row. But third time’s usually a charm, right?

View Comments (13)
$1385
$1000

$1385
$1000

Comments are Closed.