Chloe
Chloe Rogers
FOJ Intern

(she/her) Chloe is in 10th grade and this is her first year on staff. She is a FOJ intern. Chloe likes to play softball, sleep and take pictures for the Trojan Epic yearbook.

Costly college editorial

As graduation makes its long-awaited appearance this week, many seniors have long since made their decisions regarding plans for attending school next fall. Deciding on college can be a stressful process but recently some students have had portions of their decisions dictated to them simply because of the rising cost of post-secondary school.

The land of opportunity has turned into a sea of debt for college graduates. In the past decade, the average amount of debt accumulated by students fresh out of college has risen 63 percent. Students have began to opt out of higher caliber schools and instead attend an in-state or other alternative, cheaper option.

However, even the University of Iowa just down the road is experiencing tuition increases due to massive funding cuts to the state education budget. The Board of Regent was forced to approve a 4.4 percent average tuition increase for Iowa’s three public universities. Nationwide, tuition has jumped 6.8 percent over the last few years.

While many scholarships and financial aid packets are available to offset the tremendous cost of college, not enough is being done on a national level to provide an affordable yet fulfilling education for all. Some students are faced with a decision to forgo their dream education because it doesn’t fit their financial status and therefore can’t keep up with their ambition.

Legislatures better put on their running shoes and touch their toes a couple times, because this problem is slinking away with the hopes and visions of our nations future and a quick yet strong response would be the final kick needed to win this race.

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

Costly college editorial