George Liu

Brennon Keen ’18 stands by the Coralville Recreation Center swimming pool. The No. 9 ranked Trojans faced No. 10 Cedar Rapids Washington on Tuesday, Jan. 10.

Brennon Keen ’18

As the younger brother to the legendary Aiden Keen '16, Brennon Keen is making his own mark on the varsity team.

West Side Story: When did you first start swimming?

Brennon Keen: I started really swimming decent my freshman year, but I did IFLY when I was younger and I’ve grown up watching my brother swim so I think that helped.

WSS: What have you enjoyed most about this season so far?

BK: I enjoy winning all the meets that we’ve had so far, being in the water everyday with my friends and teammates, and working hard to get to state in February.

WSS: What are your best events?

BK: My best events by far are the 50 and 100 free. Basically all I swim are just sprints, the opposite of what my brother Aidan [Keen ’16] was best at.

WSS: So was Aidan more of a 500 freestyle and a 200s swimmer?

BK: Yeah, those were his best events and they are the longest events you can do in high school swimming, so I’ve always called him a long distance swimmer.

WSS: What are your goals for this year?

BK: I want our team to be undefeated in the rest of the small meets, make it to state in the 50 and 100 free, and I want our team to either win or get top three in districts and conference, and top 5 at state.

WSS: What inspires you to keep swimming?

BK: Definitely my brother is the person who inspired me the most to swim and stick with it. Watching him go from a beginning swimmer when we were both super young to an Olympic Trials swimmer has been amazing, and it motivated me to get better.

WSS: What are your future plans for swimming?

BK: I don’t really know at this point. It depends on if I get a lot better and get offers from a good college or not. But I doubt that I will swim in college, I’m just not fast enough right now. But I’m definitely swimming for West again my senior year.

$1385
$1000