Kara Wagenknecht

City high’s Olivia Lusala ‘19 calls out chants for the protesters to say during the march on Saturday, March 24.

Olivia Lusala ‘19 and Phoebe Chapnick-Sorokin ‘19

March 24, 2018

“I’m here because I’m scared. It’s way too easy to get a gun in America and it’s way too easy to kill children. I’m hoping that we [SASS and other students] are a part of the wave and that our lawmakers see that we want change. And if they don’t get that, we’re going to be voting and we’re going to vote them out. I am so happy about this turnout. I was a little doubtful at first because the weather is so bad. I had to walk here and I couldn’t even see. It really just shows how much we care. You can count on Iowans to help.” -Olivia Lusala ‘19, CHS

“I’m here today because there shouldn’t be guns in our schools and these school shootings shouldn’t be happening. As high school students, we should be the ones doing something about it. We can make change if we keep coming together and showing our support for gun legislation. Even though we are in high school and we’re kids, we can make a change. I feel great about the turnout today. We were a little worried because the weather isn’t what we were expecting, but it’s great that so many people came out in the cold and snow and they’re here to support us.” -Phoebe Chapnick-Sorokin ‘19, CHS