Kara Wagenknecht

Hira Mustafa ‘19, a University of Iowa student, gets interviewed after the march on Saturday, March 24.

Hira Mustafa ‘19

March 24, 2018

“I’m here to stand in solidarity with everyone, including myself, who cares about the future of this country and the future of children being safe in schools. I think we need gun reform in this country and common sense gun laws. I have seen so many of my friends be impacted. I’m an RA in Catlett and I oversee 38 students on my floor. To see them fear going to class, to see them fear their existence at the university is so troubling to me. I care so deeply to make sure they feel safe here. There was a school shooting here many years ago, so the University of Iowa has definitely been hit hard before, and we do not want that happening again here or anywhere else in the country or the world. I am impressed and always so happy to see the turnout of people in Iowa City when it comes to rallies. I saw this crowd when DACA was hit, when the election results came out. Our community has this way of coming together when they are impacted and holding each others hands and making sure none of us feel alone.” -Hira Mustafa ‘19, University of Iowa student