• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Boys soccer tournament- March 29th-30th @West
  • Women of Troy relays- March 26th home@4:30
  • Chamber ensemble concert- March 28th- Band room@7:00
  • Senior poets: send poems to Mr. Robins
  • College fair Wednesday in Cafeteria
  • Girls soccer vs. North Scott- Tuesday JV@5:30 V@7:00

Maddy Cook 26
Maddy Cook
Reporter

(She/her) Maddy is a sophomore and this is her first year on staff as a reporter. She dances at the National Dance Academy and is on the West High Dance Team. In her free time, she likes to read, listen...

Engineering extravaganza

Engineering+extravaganza+

By Jordan Rossen

On Feb. 15, more than 100 West High students from engineering program Project Lead the Way attended Engineering Day, a conference hosted by Kirkwood Community College.
The conference is held annually at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center. This year over 500 students from six different high schools attended.
At the conference, the students had the opportunity to attend different talks on a variety of engineering topics. After the talks concluded some of the students and faculty were given a tour of the Kirkwood engineering facilities.
“My favorite part was going inside their wind turbine. Seeing their laser and waterjet cutters was pretty cool too,” said Dominic Audia, the West High Principles of Engineering teacher.
Representatives of the Kirkwood, University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa and Iowa State University engineering programs all attended as well as representatives of engineering firms such as Rockwell Collins and National Instruments.
While many students were attracted by the chance to get an inside perspective on the engineering industry, some students were motivated by less academic goals.
“The free stuff was pretty cool,” said Principles of Engineering student Max Leavesseur ’14, “but I was really just in it for the free lunch.”

View Comments (17)
$1385
$1000

$1385
$1000

Activate Search
Engineering extravaganza