Concert raises money for MOST

A student-coordinated concert was held on Sunday, March 4 to raise money for the Miles of Smiles Team, a group of doctors that perform cleft lip surgeries in Guatemala.

March 5, 2018

A smile. It seems like such a basic component of our body, yet it has so much power. Almost everyone takes it for granted, and why wouldn’t they? It’s not something most people would feel grateful to have, but many others out there don’t have the ability to do it. That’s why students at West host a benefit concert each year to raise money and awareness for children in need of cleft lip surgery. Funded by the proceeds, a group of doctors called the Miles of Smiles Team (MOST) travel to Guatemala annually to perform surgeries on children so that they, too, can smile.

The concert was hosted by Khushi Kapoor ’18 and Ethan Seylar ’18, both returning hosts from last year.

“Ethan Seylar and I spearheaded this event for the second year,” said Kapoor. “We were in charge of everything from making sure food was in check to making sure every performer knew what they were doing when. [The concert] meant a lot to me as I have been donating to this cause since I was in elementary school. A simple surgery should never come in between a child and a smile, so I am so thankful that a lot of people were able to come out to the event.”

Student performances varied from jazz to pop to hardcore rock, but the various stage crews working behind the scenes made the event run smoothly. The set crew quickly transitioned objects on and off stage, lights crew focused on the performers and as a whole everyone ensured that the concert was systematic and engaging.