Joe Goodman ’20, Even Brauns ’20 and Marcus Morgan ’21 celebrate an and-one from Ben Vander Leest ’20 against Liberty on Jan. 24. (Alyssa Skala)
Joe Goodman ’20, Even Brauns ’20 and Marcus Morgan ’21 celebrate an and-one from Ben Vander Leest ’20 against Liberty on Jan. 24.

Alyssa Skala

West girls and boys basketball reign over Liberty High in double-header

The girls basketball team defeated Liberty 63-44 while the boys beat the Lightning 49-30 on Jan. 24.

January 25, 2020

Women of Troy get back on track with road win over Liberty

The Women of Troy defeated Liberty 63-44 to start off the doubleheader on Jan. 24, setting the pace for the night by never falling behind the cross-town rival Bolts. 

Following the first whistle, the girl’s defense was strong—they didn’t let Liberty score for the first 3 minutes of the game. Despite the enormous lead, the girls continued competing with full effort. Cora Saunders ‘20 and Jenna Saunders ’21 played unfazed, regardless of playing against her former teammates. 

After halftime, Liberty attempted to close the score gap on the Trojans but were only able to achieve a 12 point difference. The Bolts ultimately couldn’t compete with the Women of Troys’ astoundingly solid offense and defense. 

Meena Tate ’23 set the pace for the third quarter making a powerful steal in the first minutes. Still pushing through her torn ACL recovery, Avery Vest ‘22 played aggressively in the fourth quarter.

[My recovery] is getting there, it’s taken me longer than I thought to get back to game pace and play at my 100%, but Mayer and my team have been great at encouraging and getting me ready to go again.

— Avery Vest ‘21

“[My recovery]  is getting there, it’s taken me longer than I thought to get back to game pace and play at my 100%, but Mayer and my team have been great at encouraging and getting me ready to go again.” Vest said. “I have no idea really when I’ll be able to play a whole game again without restrictions but I’m hoping for it to be pretty soon.”

Juniors Audrey Koch and Matayia Tellis dominated the scoreboard, making up more than half of West’s final score, with a combined total of 39 points.

The girls next game is Jan. 25 at West Des Moines Valley High School.