Hugging it out

February 25, 2020

Kailey Gee

For the first time in Iowa high school wrestling history, a match ended without a loser.
With the team score tied in a pivotal dual meet against Liberty High School, both wrestlers decided they would rather embrace in a six-minute-long hug in the center of the mat than wrestle each other.
“I really just didn’t want to hurt my opponent’s feelings by making them feel bad about themselves if they lost,” one wrestler said. “It was better this way.”
Throughout the match, the Trojan and Bolt fans were electric as they celebrated the bravery and compassion displayed by two of the city’s finest athletes. Even the toughest of wrestlers could not help but shed a tear at such an emotional and heartwarming moment.
“I’m just so proud of my son for making sure his opponent stayed safe and uninjured,” said the dedicated father of the West High wrestler. “I would make sure he gave out 100 hugs every day growing up, so it’s really rewarding to see that hard work pay off.”

I would make sure he gave out 100 hugs every day growing up, so it’s really rewarding to see that hard work pay off.

— proud wrestling father

Despite the warm feelings circulating throughout the West High gymnasium, there was one participant who felt particularly disturbed by the event. The match’s official appeared visibly uncomfortable declaring both athletes as the winner and has vowed to never return to officiating again.
“Those kids were weird,” said the referee. “Back in my day, I could have beat them both at the same time. Kids these days just don’t have what it takes to win.”