What will work

January 20, 2022

Though it might feel like an uphill battle amidst the worker shortage for business owners hoping to hire, there are solutions. Some students at West found higher wages and extra benefits keep them working. 

“One of the reasons I went to Target is they’re really good about how they treat their employees,” Adams said. “I mean, any place that starts with 15 bucks an hour is great, especially when minimum wage is still $7.25. And then there are other perks: all team members get a 10% discount off of almost everything in the store. They have a lot of resources.” 

Another thing employers can do to keep employees motivated is show their appreciation for the work the employees do. These displays of gratitude can make a lasting impact.

“There were two separate occasions where, [human resources], in order to keep everybody’s spirits up, rented out two soft serve machines and put them in an employee break room, and I was just thinking ‘wow,’” Adams said. 

For Adams, moments like those and the extra benefits the company provides are vital for keeping Target a place that he and his fellow employees want to work at.

“Those perks really do keep me going, because it might seem small, but it does mean the world,” Adams said.