Defne Bayman

After coming back to West shortly after graduating, Camille Crossett has already been enjoying her experience this year.

Camille Crossett

Teachers can have meaningful impacts on students’ lives, and this couldn’t have been more true for social studies teacher Camille Crossett ’15. After attending high school at West, she was inspired by her teachers to become one herself. 

All of [my social studies teachers] are great teachers and really made me want to do that.

— Camille Crossett

“The one thing that made me actually really want to teach social studies was [that] I went to school here, and Mitch Gross was my AP U.S. History teacher,” Crossett said. “All of [my social studies teachers] are great teachers and really made me want to do that.”

Principal Mitch Gross fondly recalls what it was like having Crossett as a student.

“She was very engaging, really wanted to learn, always asked great questions and she was a real joy to have as a student,” Gross said. “When she interviewed for this position, I was blown away because she showed more personality and more confidence than I ever saw of her in the classroom.”

She was very engaging, really wanted to learn, always asked great questions and she was a real joy to have as a student.

— Mitch Gross

After graduating from college, Crossett taught at a high school in Knoxville, Iowa for two years through the COVID-19 pandemic. This came with challenges, especially as a teacher with online and in-person students. However, Crossett believes it has made educators, including herself, better.

“I also think that it … kind of made us kinder and more lenient with students and more willing to give a little bit of grace [and] understanding [in] certain situations,” Crossett said.

When she’s not teaching, Crossett enjoys sewing, cross stitching, spending time with her black cat and baking.

She returned to West High this year as an AP Psychology and American Studies teacher, already cherishing the supportiveness and kindness of her colleagues. Transitioning to being a teacher at West has been like coming home for Crossett.

$1400
$1000