Double win at the doubleheader: West vs. City Soccer

The West Girls and Boys take the Little Hawks at the University of Iowa Fields on April 14.

April 19, 2023

Boys

Elena Garcia Van Auken

Boys soccer claps for their supporters.

The Trojan Boys took charge of the field this past week with a 2-1 win against Liberty High on Tuesday, and now face the cross-town rival, City High.

After leading his team with 30 goals and 7 assists last season, Michael Nelson ’23 returned back for the City game but received limited playing time as he recovers from an ACL tear, meniscus, and MCL strain.

The game started out with good defense from both teams, with a low shot attempt from Daniel Fuentes ’25.

At the 29-minute mark, Liam Teghanemt ’25 ran the ball down the field, dribbled past three players, and rooted the ball into the goal 25 yards out.

With one minute left in the first half, City ramped up the offense with two attempts, Jacob Gilliam saving one and the other sailing over the goal. The first half ends with a one-up on City.

The with the first half swept by the Trojans, the boys worked hard for the next point.

Corentin Charles ’23, Daniel Kwak ’24 and Nate Heenan ’24 kept City in line and allowed West to pursue their offense play, with another left-side attempt from Fuentes at the 32-minute mark.

Although the Trojans were not able to break through City, Gilliam kept the score with multiple saves in the second half.

The West Boys plays home on April 18 against Cedar Rapids Jefferson at 6:45pm.