• Seniors vote on faculty speaker later this week
  • Boys soccer tournament- March 29th-30th @West
  • Women of Troy relays- March 26th home@4:30
  • Chamber ensemble concert- March 28th- Band room@7:00
  • Senior poets: send poems to Mr. Robins
  • College fair Wednesday in Cafeteria
  • Girls soccer vs. North Scott- Tuesday JV@5:30 V@7:00

Marie Stier
Marie Stier
Print Features Editor

(she/her) Marie Stier is a Junior at West High and she is excited for her second year on staff. She is the Feature Editor for WSS. In her free time, you can find her hammocking, doing puzzles on her porch...

West Side Story staff wins 17 writing, design and photo awards from IHSPA

West Side Story staffers won 17 awards in the Iowa High School Press Association’s writing, design and photography contest.

The newspaper staff received five first place awards:

• Megumi Kitamoto ’15 and Hilah Kohen ’14 received first place in the in-depth news category for “Searching for Peace.”
  • Kelsey Keranen ’16 and Rebecca Wen ’14 received first place in the news category for “Evaluating Equality.”
  • Madie Miller ’15 received first place in the photo story category for “Running a mile for Line.”
  • Lushia Anson ’15 and Stephon Berry ’14 received first place in the feature category for “The meaning of millennial.”
  • Jaeho Lee ’14 received first place in the newsmagazine cover for “Evaluating equality.” Lee also received second place in the same category for the “You are being watched” cover.

The newspaper staff also received five second place awards:

• Gage Van Dyke ’14 received second place in the sports photo category for “Concussions.”
  • Grace Young ’16 received second place in the photo story category for “Duck, duck … chicken?
  • Brittani Langland ’15 received second place in the two-page design category for “The damage is still there.”
  • Miller and Matt Murry ’14 received second place in the sports story category for “The damage is still there.”

The newspaper staff received four third place awards:

• Jaycie Weathers ’15 received third place in the staff editorial category for “Locker blocker.”
  • Shirley Wang ’14 received third place in the two-page design category for “You are being watched.”
  • Keranen received third place in the illustration category for “Constant Connection.”
  • Berry received third place in the column category for “Struggle bus.”

The newspaper staff received three honorable mentions:

• Paige Brazina ’16 received honorable mention in the feature photo category for “Showtime.”
  • Katie Peplow ’15 received honorable mention in the one-page design category for “Women of the world.”
  • Wang and Leela Sathyaputri ’14 received honorable mention in the illustration category for “Losing our allegiance.”

$1385
$1000

$1385
$1000

Activate Search