Ivy
Ivy Hendrickson
Yearbook Copy Editor

(she/her) Ivy is a junior and this is her second year on staff. This is her first year as the Copy Editor. In her free time she enjoys reading, hiking and running cross country.

1 in 2000: Brad DiLeo ’18

Raising a total of 1,400 dollars, Brad DiLeo ’18 was the top fundraiser for West High School’s Dance Marathon (WHSDM). By using social media, he was able to collect donations from family and friends and spread the word about childhood cancer.This will be DiLeo’s second year participating in WHSDM, and he plans on being involved with it all four years at West.

“I thought it was really cool how they put Flash up on the big screen, so he could see everyone,” DiLeo said.

However, WHSDM isn’t the only club DiLeo is involved with. He is also a member of Best Buddies, a group dedicated to making friendships with students who have intellectual and developmental disabilities. His interest with these friendships started in junior high, and continued to high school when he saw the club’s booth at the club fair.

“My favorite part about Best Buddies is that the buddies are so funny, and we get to do a lot of things together. Like a couple weeks ago, we went bowling. I like having fun with them,” DiLeo said.

Another important passion of his lies in the sport of tennis. Because his whole family plays, he was able to start at a young age. He will be a member of the boys varsity tennis team this year, but he isn’t nervous. He already knows the team from being in the tennis community for so long. Also, his brother, David DiLeo ’15, will be on the team with him.

“I’ve always thought being on a team would be really fun, so I am excited,” DiLeo said.

Similar to his experience with joining the tennis team, DiLeo was not nervous to start high school. This is because both his mother, guidance counselor Kay DiLeo, and his brother are at West with him.

“It is wonderful to have both of my sons here at West with me. I try and let them have their space but they know that if they need anything from me that I am in the building, which makes it very convenient for them,” said Kay DiLeo.

Brad would like to attend the University of Northern Iowa, and become an elementary teacher when he grows up. One of his role models is English teacher Sarah Heenan.

“Ms. Heenan inspires me because she always has fun when she teaches, and plays games, and that’s the kind of teacher I want to be,” Brad said.Brad Dileo

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

1 in 2000: Brad DiLeo ’18