• Have a good summer Trojans!

Zaira Ahmed
Zaira Ahmad
Print Editor-in-Chief

(she/her) Zaira Ahmad is a Senior at West High. This is her third year on staff, and she is the Print Editor-In-Chief. Outside of the newsroom, you can probably find Zaira at show choir rehearsal or volunteering...

Summer theater performances

Going into this summer, a lot of time is opened up for many students. Here’s a look into the different theater productions coming up this summer.

Starting off with the most local theater productions this summer, City Circle Theatre Company is performing Catch Me If You Can, which shows on July 19-21 and 26-28 at the Coralville Center of the Performing Arts. Senior Reef Persons will be in this show, in addition to some West Alumni including Tess DeGrazia ’23 and Samantha Croco ’22. Catch Me If You Can is based on the true story of Frank Abignail Jr., who scammed many different industries starting from the age of 17. 

Meanwhile, Young Footliters Youth Theatre is performing The Wizard of Oz, Youth Edition also at the Coralville Center of the Performing Arts. The cast includes Rana Saba ’25 as Dorothy, Oliver Miller ’25 as the Scarecrow, Xion Owens-Holst ’24 as the Lion, Maple Miller ’26 as Aunt Em, Luke Reimer ’27 as Uncle Henry, Maddie Struthers ’24 as the Wizard and Franny Jordan ’26 as Tough Guy 1. This show performs June 28-30. 

Riverside Theatre is performing Julius Caesar June 14-16, 20-23 and 27-30 at Lower City Park. Julius Caesar is a play written by Shakespeare about the story of Caesar. Come From Away will be performing at Hancher Auditorium June 4-6. Come From Away is the story of a small Canadian town during the events during Sept. 11, 2001. Iowa City Community Theatre is performing A Grand Night for Singing at the Englert Theatre, a Rodgers and Hammerstein show.

Moving to Cedar Rapids, Theatre Cedar Rapids are performing a variety of shows. Waitress performs in its Regional Premiere June 21 through July 28 Thursday-Sunday. Waitress is a show about a waitress and her dreams to get out of her small town. Theatre Cedar Rapids also performs Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus as part of their outdoor series for children July 5-21, and A Light in the Piazza also as part of the outdoor series Aug. 9-25.