Teaching around the world: Guy Bouchet

Guy Bouchet is a new member of the West High teaching staff. From teaching in France, China and now Iowa, he is excited to be here at Iowa City West High.
Guy Bouchet sitting at his desk
Guy Bouchet sitting at his desk
Anna Gibson

From around the world to Iowa, Guy Bouchet is a new addition to the Iowa City West High teaching staff this year as our newest French teacher.  Bouchet is well-traveled as he has taught in places like China, France and the United States. His exposure to multiple countries brings a fresh perspective to the halls of West High. 

Bouchet was born in Casablanca, Morocco but moved to France when he was five years old due to his dad getting a job there. After finishing his studies in France, Bouchet moved to Illinois to get his Master of Business Administration from Northwestern University. His final destination was not in Illinois, but instead, across the world. 

Bouchet moved to China to teach business, living in both Beijing and Shanghai. Bouchet learned Chinese to get around in China but in the classroom, he had a translator that helped him communicate with his students. 

I lived there for five years. So I had to learn Chinese, but I called it survival Chinese to stay out of trouble and find my way around,” Bouchet said.

As Bouchet was adjusting to the culture in China, he had to teach his students about Western culture so they could succeed in international business. Bouchet explained that talking about Western culture was very important in his teachings while he was in China. 

“If they want to embrace and work in international business, they have to understand how Westerners think, right? So it is building that bridge between these two fundamentally different cultures and ways of thinking that was different,” Bouchet said.

Bouchet has found great fulfillment in helping students and sharing his knowledge about things he is passionate about. 

“Sharing something that I’m familiar with, that I know, and sharing that knowledge and getting the great satisfaction to have others learn from that, that is really my motivation,” Bouchet said.

For Bouchet, relationships with his students are very important. In every country, he emphasizes forming connections with his students. He still prioritizes this to this day. 

“It is always the same thing, which is to build a rapport, as we say in French, relationship and wanting to share things back and forth between teacher and student,” Bouchet said.

Bouchet is beaming with pride and excitement during his first couple of weeks at West High. He is loving the enthusiasm and spirit that West High brings, and he can’t wait to continue his teaching career at the school. 

I love the spirit of it, between staff, administration and teachers, but also what I sense now, after a couple of weeks among students and being part of that feels very special,” Bouchet said. 

$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000