• No school Friday-teacher make-up day
  • ISASPS Tuesday and Wednesday
  • Girls soccer vs. Jefferson @home-Tuesday (postponed due to weather)
  • Walk it out next Saturday-North band room

Maddy Cook 26
Maddy Cook
Reporter

(She/her) Maddy is a sophomore and this is her first year on staff as a reporter. She dances at the National Dance Academy and is on the West High Dance Team. In her free time, she likes to read, listen...

1 in 2000: Zane Larson ’15

Zane Larson
Photo by//Julia Truszkowski

Zane Larson ’15 loves to sing. From participating in All-State, curricular and extra curricular choirs to West High’s varsity show choir, Larson excels in all things choral.

“Seventh grade came around and everybody had the chance to sign up for choir, and that’s what I did,” he explained. “I made Opus (a 7th-9th grade honor choir) and just sort of continued from there.”

Currently Larson is in West Singers, a small auditioned curricular choir for upperclassmen. He has made All-State all three years during his tenure at West.

“I’m going for the four-peat,” he said. “It’s kind of cool because it doesn’t really happen to a lot of people. It’s a lot of work, All-State season is. And when you’re doing it for four years [it’s hard].”

Larson enjoys how much vocal music is valued at West High.

“It’s not just pushed aside, like it probably happens at other schools,” he said. “It’s a program that has like 400 people, and we’re known across the state and other states because of our school.”

However, choir isn’t Larson’s only passion.

“I’m really into ‘The Hunger Games,’” he said. “I’ve read the books like six times and I’ve seen the movies a lot … At Halloween I was a coal miner from District 12.”

Larson sees choral music in his future.

“I’m thinking about becoming a choir director. That’s kind of my goal,” he explained. “I want to go to Luther, St. Olaf, Gustavus, who knows, and I think it would be fun to be a choir director at a high school level.”

$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

1 in 2000: Zane Larson ’15