ICCSD technology department says Chromebook update is unintentional

The Chromebook change was unintentional and should be functioning normally soon.

Courtney+Mapel+21+and+Lizette+Perez+21+restart+their+Chromebooks+after+an+accidental+update+by+the+district+forced+students+to+login+every+time+they+shut+their+laptop.+

Alyson Kuennen

Courtney Mapel ’21 and Lizette Perez ’21 restart their Chromebooks after an accidental update by the district forced students to login every time they shut their laptop.

Natalie Dunlap, Online Editor-in-Chief

According to the Iowa City Community School District tech department, the Chromebook settings were changed unintentionally when implementing Clever Badge logins at elementary schools. In a post published this morning on the ICCSD Technology & Innovation Blog, Adam Kurth addressed the issue.

“We reset this policy at 10 a.m. yesterday (Tuesday) morning when we learned about and diagnosed the issue, but it takes some time (or a device restart) for the policy change to propagate to each of our Chromebooks,” said Kurth. “We’re hopeful that this issue will be completely resolved for all students and staff by today, and the Chromebooks should be back to the original behavior of just going to sleep when the lid is closed.”

Courtney Mapel ’21 and Lizette Perez ’21 powered their computers on and off in the library today at 10:30 a.m., and their computers continued to log off when they shut the lid. It’s unknown when the policy will change on the computers but students relaying on Chromebooks hope it will be resolved soon.

Check back with the WSS for more updates about the Chromebooks.