In honor of Doctor King

Students will honor the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. on Wednesday, April 4.

Fatima Kammona, News Editor

50 years ago on April 4, 1968, James Earl Ray assassinated Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. With help from the Dean of Students, Maria Martin, students from The Truth Club, SSIKED and models from the African section of Walk It Out have printed off quotes from King and tweets about him and posted them on lockers at West.

“It’s important to honor Martin Luther King Jr. and what he stands [for],” Jillian Baker ’19, the president of SSIKED, said.

Along with the quotes around the school, a member of the Little Rock Nine, Doctor Terrence Roberts, will be coming and speaking to students on Friday, April 6 at 9 a.m.

I hope it serves as a reminder of who MLK was and allows people to reflect on his legacy and his devotion to bettering the world,” president of The Truth Squad Samer Suleman ’18 said.

“Especially in light of national concern about April 3rd being “National Punish a Muslim Day,” it could serve as a gentle reminder that despite all the bigotry still present today, people have and people will continue to do things for the better good. I guess […] to say that someone who was concerned about Punish a Muslim Day today can go to school tomorrow and feel a little relieved because people are spreading good quotes [and] messages from a good man who believed in fair treatment of the whole.”