Girls wrestling competes at third annual state tournament

The third ever Iowa high school girls state wrestling tournament was held at the Xtream Arena in Coralville on Jan. 22 and 23.

Hanah Kitamoto, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

Four hundred and fifty-seven wrestlers.

That’s nearly five times the number of wrestlers that competed in the first state wrestling tournament back in 2019, and the number has been growing ever since. In the second year of the West High girls wrestling program, the Trojans sent nine wrestlers to the newly built Xtream Arena to compete at the third ever girls state wrestling tournament on Friday afternoon.

Marissa Goodale ’22 (106) and Ava Davis ’22 (113) pinned their opponents in the opening round of the tournament while freshman Marlie McBride won by a 6-1 decision. Both Davis and McBride advanced to the fourth round of consolation, but Davis fell to a 9-12 decision and McBride fell to Kiersten Carrol of East Sac County. Florence Assumani ’22 fell 2-4 in the consolation first round.

Emma Barker ’22 had two pins on day one of the tournament and moved on to the quarterfinals. In the match for the a spot in the semifinals, Barker fell to Keeley Kehrli of East Buchanan and wrestled in consolation and finished the weekend 2-2. Phoebe Burt ’21 lost by fall in the opening round and pinned her opponent in the consolation bracket. Burt battled in a close 7-6 decision to finish her tournament 1-2.