Two of a kind

When the word “twins” is heard, the first thing that comes to mind is how similar they are. However, to fraternal twins like the Shah brothers and the Graf sisters that is not the case.

Fraternal twins differ greatly in physical features, yet the bond between the two gets stronger over the days.

Musawir Shah ‘23 (left) and Masood Shah ‘23 (right) posing for a picture in the court yard. (Ijin Shim)

Musawir and Masood Shah ’23 are fraternal twins born in Pakistan who moved to the US in 2019. They have no recollection of any twins within their family tree other than two older sisters.
They both started at City High School as sophomores, and then they moved again to West High School this year. “We like to be twins because we are in the same school. We work together if we have a problem about any question and solve the problem,” Musawir said.
The duo had shared a lot of memories growing up in Pakistan where they had been part of the same classroom for almost a decade. “People don’t believe it,” Masood said. “Some people say we don’t look like twins because [Musawir] looks older than me.”
It was difficult for the two to adjust to English and a different school. However, the two brothers are always watching out for each other and encourage each other to get better. “The best thing we like the most about each other is that we give respect to each other, take care of each other and help each other,” Musawir said.
At first glance, the two boys do not look alike, but they have the deep connection that many pairs of twins have. “I will say something about my brother, Masood is honest and helps me if I have a difficult time in math. He cares about me,” Musawir said.

Ava Graf ‘23 (left) and Emma Graf ‘23 (right) posing for a picture. (Ijin Shim )

Ava and Emma Graf  ’23 are fraternal twins who don’t share anything in common. “People always say that they think we’re just best friends like they never expect that we’re actually related,” Emma said. 

They grew up assigned to different classes. Only at the high school level, did they get the chance to share some classes. Although their interests are different, they share the same comfortable feeling as the Shah twins of having a sibling in the same class. “If you miss a day, you don’t have to go find a friend to text. It’s more reliable if they are already in your house,” Ava said. 

Although the sisterhood bond between the two is unbreakable, it can get annoying sometimes when people expect them to have the same personality. “We’re just very different people,” Ava said. “We have very different personalities and interests. [Our] friends are different.” 

Emma shares the same frustrations as her sister with people’s presumption of them. “You are just grouped as one once people see you as twins.”

Regardless of the good and bad that comes with being twins, the sisters wouldn’t have chosen a different sibling situation. “I feel like being both girls. [we] can relate to one another,” Emma said. “With a brother, I don’t think it would be the same.” In the end, Ava concludes what being a twin feels to her. “There are pros and cons to being twins, and it kind of helps that we don’t look exactly alike. We’re different,” Ava said. “Or else I think being a twin would bother me more than it does.”