• No school Friday-teacher make-up day
  • ISASPS Tuesday and Wednesday
  • Girls soccer vs. Jefferson @home-Tuesday (postponed due to weather)
  • Walk it out next Saturday-North band room

Maryssa
Maryssa Barnes
FOJ Intern

(she/her) Maryssa Barnes is a sophomore at West and is a FOJ intern for the Trojan Epic.

2012 Jazz Cafe

West High Band Director Rich Medd subs for Kevin Brown and conducts West High’s Varsity Jazz Band.

By Aileen Norris

On Saturday, Dec. 8, the cafeteria was transformed into a Winter Wonderland for West High’s Jazz Cafe of 2012. Trees were covered in warm yellow lights. Ornaments depicted the faces of students in the three jazz bands of West High School:  the Varsity Jazz and Symphonic Jazz Bands, and Jazz Ensemble. Treats were available for purchase. Audience members sat at tables with softly glowing lights, and eagerly waited for the performance to begin.

The theme for this year’s Jazz Cafe was Juilliard in Iowa City. Julliard students Jimmy Macbride, Luke Sellick and West High Alumnus Gabe Medd, along with highly renowned Professor Frank Kimbrough, came to do clinics and perform alongside the three bands. However, this was not the first time the collective group performed together; they also played for students and faculty at Mark Twain Elementary, and encouraged students to consider pursuing careers in music.

Juilliard hopes to continue its relationship with Iowa City in the future.

View Comments (1)
$1400
$1000

$1400
$1000

Comments are Closed.
2012 Jazz Cafe