Trobotix: a new beginning

After winning Gold Division Alliance Finalist at the FTC Iowa Championship, team Trobotix 8696 heads into their off-season.

Trobotix takes a team photo with their Gold Division Alliance Finalist medals.

Kamakshee Kuchhal, Lead Print Copy Editor

48 FIRST Tech Challenge robotics teams across the entire state of Iowa and eastern Nebraska attended the FTC Iowa Championship March 3 and 4 at the Xtreme Arena; Trobotix 8696 was one of them. Teams were divided into two divisions equally regarding skill and rankings: Gold and Black. After judge interviews and inspections, Trobotix was ready to compete in the Gold Division.

Trobotix and an alliance partner won 5 out of their 6 qualification matches, winning a short-term high score of 228 in one of the rounds. Ranked 5th out of 24 teams, they were chosen to be a part of the 2nd highest-ranked alliance’s team along with Circuit Breakers and Aztechs. However, after winning their semi-finalist matches against the 3rd highest-ranked alliance team, Trobotix, unfortunately, lost in the Gold Division Finals.

4 out of 48 teams qualified for the FIRST Championship in Houston, Texas at the end of April. Despite two students, Tiff Lieberman ’25 and Ben Ciliberto ’24, being Dean’s List semi-finalists and a team mentor, Alexa Christiansen, winning the Compass Award for her outstanding guidance and support to the team, Trobotix didn’t make the final cut.

FTC Trobotix 8696’s off-season has started. Although Trobotix’s path to victory may be over, for now, they will be back.