• Have a good summer Trojans!

The West High track teams returned to the Blue Oval to compete in the state track championships May 16-18. Check out the link below for a full recap and photos.

The soccer teams took on City High at the University of Iowa Soccer Field last week. Check out the link below for full recap and photos!

The Trojans headed to Drake Stadium for the annual Drake Relays April 26-27. Check out the link below for full recap and photos.

The girls' soccer team showed their offensive power in a statement win over Cedar Rapids Washington. Check out the link below for full recap and photos.

Load More

West tennis sends six players to individual state

The girls and boys tennis teams qualified three players each at their individual regional tournaments.

After boasting successful regular season records, the girls and boys teams competed in the first post-season tournament: individual regionals. For the tournament, teams submitted two flights of singles and two doubles pairs to compete against six other schools. The top two singles and top two doubles pairs from each of the eight regional tournaments qualify for the state tournament that will take place in a couple weeks. 

Girls

Marie Stier ’25, Maggie Shin ’24 and Claire Hahn ’25 pose for a photo after qualifying for the individual state tournament.
Photo courtesy of Claire Hahn

The girls team hosted their individual regionals tournament May 6. Senior Maggie Shin qualified in singles, punching her second ticket to the individual tournament. Juniors Claire Hahn and Marie Stier also qualified for the tournament as a doubles team. The 2A girls state individual tournament will be held at the Johnston High/Middle School Complex May 24-25. 

Boys

The boys team also hosted their individual regionals tournament May 8. The boys team qualified three of their players: junior Anthony Medina in singles and seniors Patrick Selby and Samir Singh in doubles. Selby/Singh won their bracket, becoming the doubles regional champions and securing a seed at the 2A boys state individual tennis tournament, set for May 21-22 and hosted at West’s courts. 

The boys team smiles for a picture during the individual regional tournament May 8. (Minna Abdalla)

Coming up

Both teams will also compete in their team regional tournaments in the coming week. The girls team will play the winner of Ottumwa/Burlington May 14 at their home courts. If they win, the girls will move on to play the winner of (City High/Muscatine)/Waterloo West the same day to compete for the regional championship title. The girls team state tournament will take place May 29 at Waukee Northwest High School. 

The boys team will host their team regional tournament May 11, competing against the winner of Marion/Burlington at the Iowa City West tennis courts. If they win, the boys will play the winner of (City High/Jefferson)/Ottumwa May 15. The boys team state tournament will be held May 30-31, also at Waukee Northwest High School.