Top 3 activities students should do over the summer

During the summer, students should participate in these activities to efficiently use their time.
Here are the top three activities students should do over the summer.
Reem Kirja

As summer approaches, it’s crucial to remember that universities consider the activities students engage in during this time as part of their application review process, a point emphasized by the educational consultancy IvyWise. This makes the summer a prime opportunity to pursue academic activities that can significantly enhance a college application. For students aiming to bolster their college applications, here are three activities that should be on their summer agenda. 

1) Start studying for the SAT/ACT

With many universities, like Harvard, going back to test-mandatory applications, students should prioritize researching and preparing for either the SAT or ACT during the summer. Each grade level should focus on different preparatory steps. Freshmen and sophomores must start studying for the PSAT, and juniors must study for and take the SAT or ACT. Helpful resources include Khan Academy, The College Panda, UWorld and Erica Meltzer’s SAT books. Students can also check out prep books from the West High Library, the Iowa City Public Library or the Coralville Public Library. 

2) Participate in a focused summer program

Summer programs consist of courses or activities students participate in with accredited institutions or activity makers. According to Teen Life, summer programs significantly and meaningfully impact college applications. Harvard Summer School, the Stanford Pre-Collegiate Institute and the Georgetown Pre-College Summer Program are amongst the most prestigious and challenging university curriculums available for high school students; subjects can vary from genetic mutations to intellectual property. By participating in summer programs, students can showcase how much they value education to universities, effectively strengthening their applications. 

3) Volunteer in your community 

While it’s important to showcase a student’s pursuit of knowledge through summer programs, it’s equally important to demonstrate their commitment to the community. Although volunteering for a few hours at a center may not make a significant impact on a college application, organizing community service projects, pursuing passion missions or volunteering with a local organization over a longer period can demonstrate a student’s commitment and dedication. This allows admissions committees to visualize the student’s potential contributions to their campus, making their application more compelling.