Penelope Featherington gazes into a mirror which reflects her new look for the season.
Yeju Seol

Polin in the air: “Bridgerton” season three, part one review

“Bridgerton” season three, part one premiered on Thursday, May 16. Read two WSS staffers’ reviews on the first four episodes.
Background
Background

Disclaimer: This review contains spoilers from seasons one, two and three of “Bridgerton” as well as the book “Romancing Mister Bridgerton” by Julia Quinn. “Bridgerton” is rated TV-MA due to sex, nudity, violence, profanity, alcohol, drugs and smoking. Continue reading with discretion.

On May 16, the first four episodes of Bridgerton season three premiered on Netflix. Fans have greatly anticipated this season since March 25, 2022, when season two came out and left audiences on a substantial cliffhanger. Although the release of the spin-off show, Queen Charlotte, on May 4, 2023, did help satiate the fans’ need for more Bridgerton content, they were still ravenous for the next season.

Many thought that season three would be Benedict’s story since his book comes next in the book series. It came as a shock to many when they realized that season three would follow the third-eldest, Colin, instead. Many fans are eager to see these loose ends tied up, including WSS staffers Maya Mueller ’26 and Anna Greenlee ’26.

Mayas opinion
Maya’s opinion

Fasten your seatbelts; I am about to begin. I had many thoughts and predictions going into season three. Many have yet to come true in part two but many were also revealed in the first half. 

My overall thoughts after watching the first half was that it was a bit anticlimactic. I felt like it was a bit rushed and it wasn’t very emotional. I didn’t feel very connected to the characters. I don’t like how Colin was acting but I think it was on purpose to show how he was trying to fit into the ton. He was a lot more normal with People which was on purpose to show how at ease they are with each other.  

Eloise lowkey needs to recognize her privilege.  She made me a little mad this season by not recognizing that everyone can’t just do as they please. With that being said I still firmly stand with Eloise and Penelope and hope they become friends again. 

My first prediction was that they were going to introduce Colin’s writing into the storyline. What I didn’t predict was that he would be mad at Lady Whistendown for other reasons than jealousy like in the books. 

My next prediction was more based on intrigue than opinion. I thought that it would be interesting to see how Eloise and Cressida turn out. I expected to hate their friendship but I think they have found an understanding in one another that I find quite sweet. I am not supporting Cressida’s actions but we can see more from which they stem and we see a whole different side to her that makes her more human and likable. 

I had seen in the trailer that there was going to be a love triangle this season but I am vehemently opposed to love triangles so I was quite disappointed to see that. It had gotten a little repetitive because all seasons have had them now. I got weird vibes from Lord Debling. Something about him creeped me out and I can’t quite put my finger on it. 

Predictions for the next half of season three. My first major one is that Cressida is going to figure out Penelope is Lady Whistlediwn and try to blackmail her. My next prediction is that Colin is going to blow up at her for being Whistledown and them navigating this huge fight will be a major plot point. My last prediction is that I think Whistledown will continue to be a thing after Penelope’s story unlike in the book. If they don’t keep Whistledown I feel like the next seasons are going to be boring.  I believe they will become a writing power couple. 

Annas opinion
Anna’s opinion

Dearest gentle readers, we are so back. 

This might be controversial, but I’ve never liked Penelope and always thought her crush on Colin was embarrassing. I’m not a fan of unrequited pining to the point that it’s obvious and sad; Colin was so oblivious and Penelope suffered from it time and time again. So I was both dreading this season yet excited for it to finally be over.

But I was not immune to the hype around the season; I was still a fiend for the beautiful sets and costumes and I do enjoy a nice romance once in a while. Expectations were high riding off of Kate and Antony’s famous enemies-to-lovers story from last season, including mine.

Even before it aired, I had thoughts and predictions. I’d heard of many scenes from the books to look forward to, like a mysterious mirror scene that I’m honestly a little scared of, but assume is going to be in part two.

I also knew that this season was going to jumpstart Francesca’s and maybe even Benedict’s future seasons. Francesca’s book, “When He Was Wicked,” is my mom’s favorite, so I’m already looking forward to her season. Because it is my mom’s favorite, I already knew the story and enjoyed seeing it start.

I also liked seeing Colin and Penelope’s relationship start to blossom, although it did a lot more than start in the four few episodes. That is to say, it felt rushed. This is all because of the two-part split and the demand for a new season, as well as the new showrunner Jess Brownell, who replaced Chris Van Dusen.

Since our time with both characters has been rushed, I haven’t felt connected to either lead. I think adding backstory or memory sequences could’ve helped, and simply more time with both.

This could lead to the popular argument that any season of “Bridgerton” has too many B-plots. This has been especially used against season two, but I disagree. A lot of the B-plots, although not all, offer insight into the characters, relationships and world of “Bridgerton.” There is a large cast on the show and I’m perfectly fine with exploring their stories along with the main romance.

A lot of the B-plots, although not all, offer insight into the characters, relationships and world of “Bridgerton.”

— Anna Greenlee

However, some B-plots have been heavily overused, though their value might come with time. Antony’s and Benedict’s flings with women who cannot end up with them in the end seemed pointless, although it caused some character development (this season’s relationship with Lady Tilley Arnold seems the most pointless of all, in my opinion).

Colin and Penelope’s friends-to-lovers relationship was honestly very cute, even with the hurriedness and awkwardness. Penelope’s struggles with managing Lady Whistledown, dealing with her family and courting a husband made her character very complex and interesting, as opposed to the first season. Exploring Colin’s character was new, as he is normally just the younger, naive brother in the background. This is integral to his character, as he is now trying to change and mature, to the point that he made me uncomfortable by constantly flirting. His character grew on me as he dropped the ‘rake’ facade and opened up to Penelope. The two together resulted in many awkward moments that almost made me physically walk out of my room, but it was worth it in the end.

All in all, the first half was cute, but felt different and rushed. This doesn’t have to be a bad thing, and we’ll see in the coming weeks until the second half premieres. One thing I’m sure about, however, is that we, as a society, need more orchestral covers of Pitbull songs.

Conclusion
Conclusion

Another half of the season is yet to be released, so initial opinions are subject to change and secrets are yet to come out. The season three, part two teaser is on Netflix, and it foreshadows Penelope and her identity as Lady Whistledown clashing with her marriage with Colin and ex-friendship with Eloise. It’s implied that she will be revealed or stop writing, but no one knows if the show will follow in the footsteps of the books. Find out on June 13, when the second half premieres.

Days left until Bridgerton season three, part two premieres
Season three, part two has premiered. You can now watch all of season three on Netflix.