• Have a good summer Trojans!

Ginger Mccartney 24
Ginger McCartney
Artist, Designer

(she/her) Ginger McCartney is currently a senior at West,  this is her third year on staff. She is the art editor for the West Side Story paper. Outside of school, she spends her time graphic designing...

Class of 2024 graduates at Xtream Arena

On June 2, 2024, the graduating class joined faculty, ICCSD board members and West High alumni to receive their diplomas.

This Sunday, students of the West High class of 2024 walked across the stage to finally finish their high school careers.

At the ceremony, three students, two faculty members and West High alum, Lequetia Ancar spoke to the crowd, acknowledging the successes and hardships this class has faced.

This year’s student poet laureate was Caroline Seery ’24, who will be attending Temple University to study English and Creative Writing.

Student Body President, Wesal Haroun ’24 spoke after her, encouraging her classmates to seize the day and take charge of their lives. “Instead of saying ‘I wish I had,’ we should all get in the habit of saying ‘I will’,” Haroun said. Haroun will be attending Harvard University this fall.

The last of the student speakers was Zoe Smith ’24, and as vice president of the student council, she introduced Ancar to the crowd.

Ancar shared her struggles with being a woman of color in STEM, a predominantly white male field, as well as growing up the eldest of several siblings and how her mother encouraged her to go for her goals.

Faculty speakers included West High Principal Mitch Gross, School Board President Matt Degner and the student-chosen teacher was Nate Frese.

All of the faculty speakers reflected on the struggles the class has faced with the ever-changing world and constant connectivity, as well as the times of coronavirus and online schooling.

As always, the ceremony ended with the turning of the tassel and the throwing of the graduation cap.