Seoul Series: the art of effort

Seoul Series: the art of effort

Effort can take you far, even 6,500 miles to the other side of the world.
Yonsei University, one of the most prestigious universities in Korea, is most famously known for its strong academics and features in K-dramas (Gianna Liu)

I was butt-to-butt with another man. I tried to turn around to look at him, but more people clambered on, pushing me back. The subway train sang a little jingle, and the doors began to shut… except they couldn’t. People kept squeezing in the box, and then the train started moving. Personal space was nonexistent on this train; my body was sandwiched between a lady with rollers in her hair and a man in a suit. Nevertheless, I was the happiest girl in the world. 

One year ago, I never thought I would be on an airplane to Seoul, South Korea. I would have laughed in your face if you had told me the United States government would pay for my airplane tickets to a fully-funded seven-week trip to South Korea. It all sounds too good to be true, right?

But it wasn’t a scam. I spent seven weeks in Seoul as a part of the National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y), fully immersing myself in Korean culture, food, people and language. This program sponsors trips in hopes of “Increasing the number of young Americans with the language skills necessary to advance international dialogue, promote economic prosperity and innovation worldwide, and contribute to national security and global stability by building understanding across cultures.” I studied how to write, read and converse with natives in “Hangukeo” (Korean). I shopped, cafe-hopped and snacked on turtle chips, peely gummies and flavored almonds. I indulged in traditional delights like kimchi, bibimbap, bulgogi, chap chae and galbi tang. 

Iowa Youth Congress, another government-funded program, sent me an email detailing the program; however, not everyone participates in these programs, making opportunities like NSLI-Y very hard to find. Also, the application process for NSLI-Y wasn’t easy. Although only two essay questions were required, they prompted extensive thinking. I spent weeks on my application, incorporating hours of NSLI-Y research into my essays. After passing the first round, I dedicated another week in preparation for the interview. 

The art of effort is experiencing a life-changing moment; effort can bring beautiful opportunities.

Even with all of this work behind me, I still could’ve been rejected after my second round. The program didn’t have the highest acceptance rate, but I didn’t let that stop me from trying. 

Thus, I urge you to search Google for programs and events that interest you. Many websites detail scholarship opportunities for teenagers. Take time to put your best effort into these applications, and don’t agonize over one rejection; keep trying, and who knows? Maybe I’ll see you in Korea one day.

Gianna Liu
Gianna Liu, Print Co-Editor-in-Chief
Gianna Liu is a senior at West High. This is her third year on staff and she is the Print Co-Editor-in-Chief. When Gianna isn't busy taking photos or writing the next big story, you can find her bouncing a volleyball on the 10-foot line, watching the newest kdrama, walking 10,000 steps and volunteering.
$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000