• Bring in donations for the Student Senate Food Drive, Nov. 27-Dec. 22.

West PE teacher wins noteworthy award

Erika Mundt, physical education instructor at West and Liberty High School was selected for Iowa Association for Health, Physical Education, recreation and Dance Teacher of the Year award (IAPHERD) in recognition for her teaching

Erica Mundt received the IAPHERD award, which recognizes PE teachers who are making a difference through their teaching.

Pareen Mhatre

Pareen Mhatre

Carmela Cohen Suarez, Reporter

Mundt’s selection for Iowa Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Teacher of the Year award (IAPHERD) brings forth recognition for her hard work and evokes positive change in the PE world.

To be eligible for IAPHERD, each teacher must be nominated by a peer, parent,or administrator. After nomination, each candidate finishes a five question application on appropriate practices in PE, teaching methodologies and innovative learning experiences.

“This award for Erika is a recognition of her teaching. It represents her willingness to find innovative ways to teach her class [and] help students understand the importance of a healthy, active lifestyle. She is building a foundation for each student’s future as an active adult,” said Jan Grenko, District Physical Education Coordinator, who believes that the award is of large importance to the district as well as to Mundt.

As a result of her selection for IAPHERD, Mundt is now eligible for the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE) award and is the eighth Teacher of the Year from the Iowa City Community School District since 1994.

Later, the applications for IAPHERD are reviewed by a selection committee, which consists of past teachers of the year, and the winner is chosen. This year the winner was chosen around early Sept. The process to be selected for SHAPE is the same. 

The IAPHERD award elicits recognition for both Mundt and the district’s hard work in physical education. “This award lets the rest of the state hear about the wonderful things she and the rest of the staff at West High are doing in physical education,” Grenko said.

In addition to recognition for Mundt and the district, Grenko said the award serves as motivation for others:

I believe this award makes us all want to work a little harder and make the positive connection with students regarding their health and physical activity.”

— Jan Grenko