West Side Radio: First Amendment Panel Discussion

This podcast discusses the first amendment and how it applies to students in school and outside. This podcast features Ms. Noble and Mr. Aitken as guests.

This podcast features Mr. Aitken and Ms. Nobel as panel speakers. The podcast dives in head first into the first amendment discussing how freedom of speech applies to students, and how the right to petition is very important. To display the power of the freedom of speech Ms. Noble brings up Tinker v. Des Moines and how it changed the way students are viewed when it comes to the first amendment. Mr. Aitken stresses the importance of using the first amendment and how important it is to all students no matter their race, creed or religion. 

A case that is really famous here is Tinker vs. Des Moines is really important for establishing that students don’t leave their rights when they enter school doors. Where the confusion can often come in is that schools have a mandate to make a safe learning environment for students and so just because you have freedom of speech you don’t have a right to harass or bully students or disrupt other students environments. I often use the analogy ‘my right to hit you in the nose ends where your nose begins.’

— Ms. Noble