ICCSD releases survey results regarding back-to-school plans

The Iowa City Community School District released the Return-to-Learn survey results on June 26.

Hanah Kitamoto, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

The Iowa City Community School District’s Return-to-Learn survey was posted on Twitter and sent out to parents and staff to fill out on June 9. The purpose of the survey was to gather information on what parents and staff prefer for the fall school plan.

West High showed the largest parent survey participation and second largest staff participation. The results showed that the majority of both parents and staff were comfortable sending their children back to school or returning to work. Factors such as improved cleaning before and after school starts, a vaccine for COVID-19, expanded testing and tracing of the coronavirus and being contacted when a staff or student gets sick were the most popular methods of increasing parents and staffs’ comfort level.

For both parents and staff, the most preferred learning model for the fall was to hold classes on-site while the hybrid method of alternating on-site and online schooling was the second most preferred learning model. For the hybrid learning option, results showed that the majority of parents and staff favored the having a rotation of students in an every other day model.

The ICCSD is considering four different models including on-site, all-remote and hybrid for the upcoming school year. However according to Interim Superintendent Matt Degner, a finalized plan is yet to be determined.

“The District is still working through protocols and procedures for many different circumstances. We do understand that there are opportunities where this will be more challenging than others or even in some instances not possible,” Degner said.

The district has until July 1 to announce a “Return-to-Learn” plan for the fall and the District facilities will remain closed until at least July 5.

This story is still developing, check in with WSS for more updates.