Students rally for trans rights

Students held a walkout on March 11 in protest of the new law banning transgender women from school-affiliated female sports teams.

Southeast+Junior+High+students+lead+the+walk+out+for+trans+womens+rights.+

Sachiko Goto

Southeast Junior High students lead the walk out for trans women’s rights.

Audrey Parrish, Copy Editor

On March 11, students from Junior Highs and High Schools all over the Iowa City area walked out of their classrooms during 3rd period and made their way to the Pentacrest. This walkout was in protest of new legislation stating that transgender female athletes will not be allowed to play on school-affiliated female sports teams. The protest was organized by students at Southeast Junior High.

A group of students walked out of Southeast Junior High at 11 and made their way to City High, carrying signs and pride flags. 

At City High, a group of students gathered at the front of the school, waiting for the Junior High protesters to arrive. Julian Ermin-Green, a student at City High, shares the reason why he walked out. “I’m here for one because I am trans. It is really unfair for my rights and the rights of the people I care about to be infringed upon. It’s garbage.” Another City High student, Harry Epstein, shares their perspective. “This stupid bill that passed…They don’t seem to understand the impact that gender-affirming care has on trans women. Not letting people be the people they are, it’s so blatantly discriminatory.”

Not letting people be the people they are, it’s so blatantly discriminatory.

— Harry Epstein

When the Junior High students arrived, protest leaders got both groups organized and they headed to the Pentacrest. Students from other schools in the district met them there. West High School and Northwest Junior High students were in attendance. The protest had designated speakers and an open mic for anyone who wished to share their story. Community members also came to the protest, including V Fixmer-Oraiz, who is non-binary and is running for the County Board of Supervisors. “We need to get involved. Youth being energy and advocacy to any movement. The fact that 7th graders are leading movements instills my faith in humanity.”