Future Trojans shine at home football game

Future Trojans joined current Trojans on the football field Friday, Sept. 8.

West+High+Kids+Clinic+performs+at+the+football+game+on+Friday%2C+Sept.+8.+

Sachiko Goto

West High Kid’s Clinic performs at the football game on Friday, Sept. 8.

Audrey Parrish, Copy Editor

The start of the football season is an exciting time to be a Trojan. The beloved West High stadium comes alive for every home game, and this past week was no exception as the Trojans took on the Dubuque Hempstead Mustangs Friday, Sept. 8, where the Trojans won 40-15

Friday’s game was a little different than the previous one, however. Every year at one football game, Trojan stadium welcomes hundreds of future Trojans to the field in the form of the Northwest Junior High 8th grade band and the West High Dance Team’s Kids Clinic. These groups get to experience what it’s like to perform with High Schoolers doing activities they love.  

The young dancers in the Iowa City community participating in the Kids Clinic spend the selected afternoon learning a dance with the high school dance team. They practice from 5-6:15 and then perform at the varsity football game. The whole event costs $50 to participate and a T-shirt, pizza and juice are included. Kids Pre-k through 6th grade can sign up. 

The 8th-grade band practices marching and off the field in group formation and playing while standing at attention at their home school, then bring those skills to the West High football field to play one song with the high school band. This year’s song was Firework by Katy Perry. “It’s always a great opportunity for [the 8th graders] to get a little taste of marching band but also for them to come and join the high school band […] and start making those connections because next year they’ll be part of the Trojan Marching Band and the West High band program.” Said Rob Medd, one of West High’s band directors. “We’re always very excited about having them with us and getting a chance to have over 300 people play together.”