The pillars of 1440 Interact

These two women are the driving force behind many of the opportunities and activities of 1440 Interact Club. Here is their long history with 1440 and West High.

Eleanor Weitz, Managing Editor

Former West High teachers Nancy Pacha and Margy Winkler are the Rotary sponsors of West’s 1440 Interact Club. They’ve both been involved with the club for many years and have aided and supported the students of the club with their service projects and leadership opportunities throughout it all. Pacha and Winkler are true pillars of the club and have contributed greatly to shaping it into what it is today. 

Pacha started the club in 1995 along with fellow teachers Paul Breitbach and Karen Meyers. “The idea of teaching leadership was exceedingly appealing,” says Pacha.

I’ve always liked kids, especially the kinds of kids who really want to look out for other people doing good things,

— Margy Winkler

Winkler became involved when the club was in need of a classroom to meet in and she offered hers up. She soon became curious about 1440 and quickly joined after learning what they did. She was immediately drawn by the initiative and passion of the students in the club. 

“I’ve always liked kids, especially the kinds of kids who really want to look out for other people doing good things,” she says. Both Pacha and Winkler’s favorite thing about being involved with 1440 is the inspired students they get to meet and learn from. 

“You really begin to develop a special kind of relationship,” Winkler says. The hands-on activities and volunteer projects such as planting trees, picking up trash or 1440’s annual Walk For Water, leave many opportunities for long conversations and developing friendships. The club brings together a diverse demographic of students with the common interest in volunteerism and service. 

“It must feel like an inviting place that people can feel comfortable and safe in, and that thrills me,” says Pacha. When asked why someone should join 1440 Interact, Pacha and Winkler both agreed that the club’s best attribute is helping students find their volunteering niche by offering a large variety of service opportunities. 

You don’t need to have any skill or talent, any particular anything, you just have to have the heart to want to do service for somebody else

— Nancy Pacha

“There’s all these opportunities at their fingertips by just taking advantage of the club and if you didn’t know exactly where else you wanted to volunteer, you would be exposed to all sorts of things,” Winkler says. Another positive aspect of the club Pacha points out is that anyone of any skill level can join. 

“You don’t need to have any skill or talent, any particular anything, you just have to have the heart to want to do service for somebody else,” she said. The positive and helpful energy both Pacha and Winkler bring to 1440 is reason enough to consider becoming involved with the club.