Tennis teams headed to state

Both tennis teams are heading to state tennis at the end of this month.

Zoe Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Trojan tennis has a tradition of dominating throughout the state, and this year is no different. Both teams have competed in the district and regional competitions over the past week, hoping to punch their ticket to the state meet.

Girls

The girl’s team hosted the regional meet on the Trojan tennis courts on Wednesday, May 10th. Students came during their free periods and lunch to cheer on the girls in hopes of them making it to state. The 12-2 Trojans have been a force to be reckoned with across the state this year, and they showed that during their regional meet where they competed against Ottumwa, Muscatine, Burlington, Cedar Falls and Waterloo West.

Senior Mohana Sunkara warms-up her serve before her match at the district meet on May 10th, 2023. (Zoe Smith)

4 girls punched their tickets to state. Jay Mascardo ’23 and Mohana Sunkara ’23 punched their tickets to compete in the singles state tournament. Doubles pair Maggie Shin ’24 and Sasha Postnikov ’25 also punched their ticket to the state doubles tournament. You can catch these 4 Trojans competing at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on May 26th and 27th in hopes of winning a state title.

Their team regionals will be played on Tuesday, May 16th at West High. If they perform well the team could advance to the team state tournament.

Boys 

The defending state champions headed over to Liberty High on Monday for their districts. They faced off against Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Burlington, Davenport North, Iowa City Liberty and Urbandale. Coming off a win against Cedar Rapids Prarie, the 14-1 Trojans boy’s team took down their opponents, punching their tickets to state.

Junior Samir Singh prepares to hit a ball during a home meet. (Krisha Kapoor)

Seniors Jayden Shin and Jonathan Fan will be competing in the singles state tournament. Samir Singh ’24 and Shivy Mannengi ’23 will compete in doubles, as well as Junze Sun ’25 and Patrick Selby ’24.  Individual state matches will be at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on May 23rd and 24th. The Trojans will compete in their team districts this Friday, May 12th at home. If they continue to dominate they will be on their way to the team state tournament at Waukee Northwest Highschool on May 31st.