Homecoming highlights: reflecting on moments from the week

Take a look back at the memorable events that took place during Homecoming Week.
On Oct. 4, the West High student section throws up colorful arrays of chalk at the Homecoming football game against Cedar Rapids Kennedy.
Niklass Wendlandt

Spirit Week

While other Homecoming festivities were underway, students and staff participated in Spirit Week from Sept. 30 to Oct. 4. Throughout the week, students were encouraged to partake in dress-up days: Monday was Pajama Day, Tuesday was Barbeque Dad or Soccer Mom Day, Wednesday was Worst Outfit Day, Thursday was Twin/Trio Day and Friday was Green and Gold Day. This promoted camaraderie among students and staff, heightening school spirit the entire week.

Parade

West High held its annual homecoming parade on Sept. 30 to start Homecoming week. Featuring various floats throughout the route, from sports like volleyball and soccer to clubs like Theater West and West High Choirs, this parade illustrates the diverse activities and talents of the West High student body. The parade featured not only students from West High but also younger students from throughout the district. Horn, Wickham and Coralville Central Elementary students handed out candy to the crowd during the parade.

Sports

Many of West’s sports teams competed in various events during Homecoming week. The week started with the girls swim, volleyball and boys cross country teams all securing wins on Oct. 1. The girls swim team dominated their meet, maintaining their undefeated season. Later, the boys cross country team finished first overall in both the varsity and junior varsity races. The evening concluded with the volleyball team defeating Cedar Rapids Kennedy 3-0. Two days later, they beat City High 3-2. To cap off the week, the football team demolished Jefferson 48-6 on Oct. 5.

Pep Rally

To finish off the school day on Oct. 4, students got pumped up in the main gym for the Pep Rally, following an early-out schedule. The final hour of the school day was devoted to loud music, games and cheering students. The games included intense balloon popping, tug of war and musical chairs. Shortly after, technical difficulties arose, preventing the West High K-pop club and cheer team from performing their routines. To conclude the event, Principal Mitch Gross presented the Spirit Sword to the class with the most school spirit: the seniors.

Dance

To round out the week, West held its “red carpet” Homecoming dance Oct. 5 in the South Gym. Students gathered from 7-10 p.m. to take photos, enjoy snacks and dance with their peers. The Heroes of Troy were announced at the dance, with seniors Butali Butali, Gianna Liu, Ava Bruxvoort, Layan Ahmed, Leiya Rodriguez and Moustafa Tiea receiving the awards. Afterward, students gradually trickled out of the athletic parking lot, marking the end of Homecoming week.

$1520
$2000

$1520
$2000