• Walk it out- Saturday in Auditorium
  • Girls soccer vs. Wash- Tuesday @home
  • Drake Relays this weekend- Drake Stadium
  • Class president elections later this week
  • Choir trip to Chicago- Thursday-Saturday

Chloe
Chloe Rogers
FOJ Intern

(she/her) Chloe is in 10th grade and this is her first year on staff. She is a FOJ intern. Chloe likes to play softball, sleep and take pictures for the Trojan Epic yearbook.

West High to hold first annual homecoming parade

On Wednesday, Sept. 20, the first annual homecoming parade will take place.
Ashlyn
West High hosts first annual homecoming parade

Following in the footsteps of other ICCSD high schools’ traditions, West High has announced its first annual homecoming parade. The parade will take place on Sept. 20 at 6:00 p.m., followed by a pep rally in the West High courtyard. The parade will go through a one-mile loop through the Galway Hills neighborhood, located west of West High, in which spectators are encouraged to come and watch. 

The parade will include a multitude of clubs, sports teams, community groups and participation from Northwest Junior High and surrounding elementary schools. Club registration for parade involvement will be open until Friday, Sept. 15. In addition, the parade’s grand marshal, West High Alumni and former NFL player Nate Kaeding ’00 and West High’s new mascot Hector will be in attendance.

Parade organizers Jennifer Struthers and Jamie Vakiner, who began planning over the summer, hope that the parade will foster a sense of community within West High and the surrounding schools.

“[We were] just trying to bring in something the other two high schools have that we thought would be really fun for the students and the community just to bring more spirit to everybody and to draw in Northwest and the elementary schools,” Struthers said.

In addition to planning the parade, Struthers and Vakiner have been fundraising for this year’s and future homecoming parades, including selling t-shirts.  The official homecoming t-shirt store is open until Wednesday, Sept. 13 to ensure that t-shirts purchased will be delivered before the parade. The funds received will be used towards next year’s parade, for which Struthers and Vakiner have high hopes.

“City High has had it for years and years and it’s just never taken off at West, so we’re hoping that this is the spark that lights the flame and it continues,” Struthers explained.