West High’s first Homecoming Parade

For the first time in history, West High hosted a homecoming parade. The parade dawned a multitude of different clubs, organizations, sports teams and much more.
Erin Chen 27 plays Butter with the marching band.
Erin Chen ’27 plays “Butter” with the marching band.
Gianna Liu

The West High Homecoming committee put on the inaugural West Homecoming Parade on Wednesday, Sep. 20. West alumni and former NFL kicker Nate Kaeding ’00 grand marshaled the parade. The event was hosted in the Neighborhood of Galway Hills just next to West High. Galway Hills residents, community members, West High staff, students and family gathered to watch the festivities unfold.

The parade kicked off with the West High marching band led by conductors Bryan Zeglis and Ryan Middleton, the band was followed by the Trojan Dance team. The West High Heroes of Troy for 2023 followed close behind the music. The Heroes of Troy is West’s homecoming court and consists of 16 seniors. The court was escorted by a fleet of convertibles and jeeps driven by volunteers.

Trojan youth sports teams were up next including Trojan club baseball, football as well as ambition baton and dance. Elementary schools were also represented with floats; many future Trojans from Borlaug, Weber, Wickham and Horn walked in the parade among Trojans past and present.

West high sports teams were close to follow. The boys’ tennis and soccer teams walked with their state tournament trophies from the previous year. The sports floats got creative with the boys’ tennis team showing off giant tennis rackets and beach balls disguised as tennis balls, along with, both the girls’ swimming and volleyball teams were escorted with a fire truck down the parade route.

Scattered throughout the parade were West High faculty and staff. Assistant Principal Jenny Eustice was behind the wheel of a golf cart showing off her school spirit with a green wig and tutu. If that was not enough, Athletic Director BJ Mayer and Athletic Secretary Brianna Nigg rode in a decked-out pickup truck shooting their famous t-shirt cannon into the crowds.

The parade concluded with the West High cheer team and West’s new mascot Hector the Trojan.

As the parade dissolved, a pep rally was held in West High’s courtyard where the West High Cheer and Dance teams performed as well as the band and drumline. Marcos Grilled Cheese and Kona Ice were selling food to keep the Trojans refreshed after an entertaining kickoff to the homecoming festivities.

The homecoming celebrations don’t stop here. Juniors and Seniors will be competing in the Trojan Games starting at 6:30 on Thursday night, there will be a fun-filled pep assembly at the end of the day Friday to get the student body excited for the homecoming football game against Ankeny Centennial on Friday at 7:00 on Trojan Field. Finally, the annual homecoming dance will be held on Saturday from 7-10 p.m. at West. Students can buy tickets for 10 dollars at lunch until Friday, to attend the dance they must have their student ID.

The Homecoming Parade successfully brought the West High community together to celebrate the homecoming week, the first parade of more to come.