Anna Song 25
Anna Song
Print Assistant Design Editor

(she/her) Anna Song is a junior at West High School and is excited for her second year on the West Side Story staff. This year she will be the assistant design editor on print staff. Outside the newsroom,...

Student Government: looking forward

From homecoming and pep rallies to fundraisers and movie night, Student Government is planning ahead for the 2023-24 school year.

The 2023-24 school year is underway, and the West High Student Government is looking forward to a year full of festivities. President Cindy Wang ’24 and Vice President Moustafa Tiea ’25 have been busy planning schoolwide events, some traditional, while others are brand new. 

“First of all we have homecoming and we have a pep assembly, of course, so that’s a big thing. In April or May, sometime in the spring, we’re going to have a movie night, maybe in the courtyard, so that’s super big,” Wang explained. “We also have the winter formal, we have a date for that already, that’s something we’re looking forward to. Those are some big things for now.”

In addition, Wang emphasized wanting to host more fundraisers this year, hoping to raise money for a good cause while also getting the school together. 

“Another main thing that I want to focus on [that] we touched on last year a little bit [is fundraisers]. [Last year] we had a breast cancer awareness fundraiser. It was during October during the spirit week. It was a pink-out event that raised $1,200 for Team Breast Friends,” Wang said, reflecting on last year’s fundraiser. “I really want to take that momentum and put it towards more fundraisers this year. So whether it be fundraisers for breast cancer awareness, or it can be for anything, I think we can, as a student government, find a cause that we all really want to support and then go forth with that.”

While big things are in store for the student body in the coming months, big things are also happening behind the scenes of the student government. Formally known as the Student Senate, this year, members of student government are still in the process of restructuring the interworkings of their meetings, participation, and collaboration. 

Similar to last year, leadership positions will be present in addition to new grade representatives. Wang hopes this new system will allow more students to be involved and to delegate the power differently than in previous years. Wang and Tiea have also been working on organization within the student government and its included committees.

The committees, I think have been working really well together, and it’s been good.

— Cindy Wang '24

Many exciting events and fundraisers are in the works for this school year. Wang, Tiea and the entirety of the student government have been examining what went well in the past, along with what things need to be improved this year to increase student involvement and build community.