Keith
Keith Moody
Yearbook Co-Assistant Sports Editor

(he/him) Keith Moody is a junior at West this year and this is his first year on the Trojan Epic staff. He is the Co-Assistant Sports Editor this year. In his free time you can find him spending time with...

Football team shows offensive power in win over Muscatine

The Trojans took to the field Sept. 8 to take on the Muscatine Muskies for their second home game of the season.

On a clear night with temperatures in the mid-70s, the Trojans were ready to play some football against the Muscatine Muskies Friday, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. West won with ease, securing a 42-20 win.

Muscatine got the ball first on their 9-yard line, but the Trojan defense forced a punt early on. Todd Rent ’24 had a long run that set up a Jack Wallace ’25 and Mason Woods ’25 touchdown. That story continued through the first half as Marquise Rose ’24 sacked the Muscatine quarterback, forcing another punt.

Butali Butali ’25 had an 11-yard run, giving Wallace the opportunity for a quarterback sneak into the end zone. Shortly after, Rose got a tackle for loss, giving the West High offense another shot to score. Todd Rent ’24 ran the ball in for a touchdown shortly after. Mason Goering ’26 capitalized on his defensive unit’s play, hauling in a touchdown pass from Wallace to close out the half with a 28-0 lead.

Facing a 4th-and-14 from Muscatine’s 27-yard line a few minutes into the second half, Wallace hit senior Izaiah Loveless for a touchdown. However, the Muskies were able to counter with a 65-yard touchdown. That didn’t stop the Trojans though. After a 25-yard catch and run by Woods, Butali scored a touchdown.

The Muskies got two more touchdowns, but West held on for a dominant 42-20 win. The Trojans travel to City High Friday, Sept. 15 for the Battle of the Boot.