Annual blood drive comes to West

The DeGowin Blood Center will be holding its annual blood drive on Oct. 16 and 17.

Abby McKeone

DeGowin Blood Center hosts the annual fall blood drive

The DeGowin Blood Center, which is apart of the University of Iowa, will be holding a blood drive on Oct. 16 from 11:00 am-3:30 pm and Oct. 17 8:30 am-1:00 pm in the auditorium lobby. Students must be 16 years of age and have a signed permission form which can be found in Carolyn Walling’s room (room 2). 

Walling encourages students to donate because “It’s a selfless act. You can’t make it in a lab, the only way to get it is to get it from a person. It’s just one of the nicest things a person can do for humanity.”

Walling also notes that only around half of the donations are successful, but that should not stop anyone interested since it is beneficial to people in need. Things that can result in a failed donation could be health conditions such as anemia or a cold, recent travel to an area with health risks or a fresh tattoo or piercing. 

Students are also recommended to use an open period for the donation but may also go during class. Students will not be excused from class unless they talk to their teacher or obtain a pass from one of the blood drive staff. The process of donation takes around an hour, but the donation itself lasts for around ten minutes. 

During this ten minute time period, around one pint of blood is donated. This amount of blood is standard for anyone, regardless of age. Although the donation amount is static, the time period between donation is different for age groups. People of older age are allowed to donate more frequently, the shortest being 3-6 weeks.

Seniors who donate will be entered into a raffle for a $500 scholarship which is sponsored by the DeGowin Blood Center. DeGowin also offers a Gallon Grad program which honors students who donate eight times before the time of graduation. Students will receive a certificate and a red cord to wear at graduation.