Trojans edge out Xavier in first home game

West High Volleyball wins their season-opening home game against Xavier on Aug. 31.

Owen Aanestad

Sophomore Malae’ Lacy is congratulated by her teammates after a big kill against Xavier on Aug. 31.

Krisha Kapoor and Ella De Young

It’s been a grueling five years since the Trojan volleyball team last defeated the Xavier Saints. Last night, the Trojans got their revenge with a nail-biter against the reigning 4A state champions. 

Xavier held a steady lead all of the first set. The Trojans gained some momentum at the end, but still fell short 20-25. 

Sophomore outside hitter Melae’ Lacy helped the team out with three major kills early in the second set. Soon after, Xavier lost some crucial points through missed serves. Midway through the second set, the Saints started to close the gap with some big plays. Head Coach Keeley Arnold took a timeout at 24-24 to regroup. The Trojans were able to hold on to the lead long enough to win the second set 27-25. 

The third set was back and forth. Some dropped tips and missed serves cost points and Xavier was able to pull through with a 21-25 win.

The Trojans brought energy into the beginning of the fourth set. Sophomore setter Emma Stammeyer served a couple of aces to hold on to the lead. The rest of the set was filled with tension due to some argued over the net calls between teams. West was able to remain calm, and senior Carmen Crabtree closed out the fourth set with an ace, winning 30-28.

Crabtree carried the momentum with a kill to open the fifth set. West remained in the lead until Xavier had some crucial kills to tie the match at 9. Senior libero Katherine Kouba and recent Liberty transfer Sydney Woods ’22 kept the team afloat with some major digs and West was able to edge out Xavier 15-11. West beat the Saints in a thrilling five set match. 

The Trojans next home game is on Sept. 7 against Cedar Rapids Jefferson.