Volleyball team drops match to Dubuque Wahlert

The Women of Troy battled Dubuque Wahlert through three sets, but ultimately fell 25-19 in the third and final set.

Maddy Smith

The team celebrates after scoring a point against Dubuque Wahlert on Oct. 8 at West High.

Joe Goodman, Sports Editor

The Women of Troy lost in three sets to Dubuque Wahlert on Senior Night in their final home game of the season. Lone senior Natalie Young, who recorded four kills, was walked out by her teammates before the match to applause from both crowds.

Young has 77 kills so far this season while also posting a team-high .966 serve efficiency rating. Beyond the numbers, Young is a helpful and encouraging leader for this year’s young squad.

“Natalie is already being a top-notch leader,” head coach Scott Sanders said earlier in the season. “Kids follow her pretty well.”

Kearsten Lenth ’22 controlled the offense throughout the first set, recording five assists in addition to her three digs later in the match. Raina Pfiefer ’22 had two nice kills in the first set.

The team started off neck-and-neck with the Eagles in the second set, but a few kills from state-leader Aliyah Carter ’20 of Wahlert dug the team an early hole. Ryann Culver ’21 and Misha Canin ’22 each added two kills in the second set before falling 25-14.

The third and final set saw the Women of Troy fall behind early before storming back near the end of the set. Katherine Kouba ’22 continued her excellence at libero, recording four digs in the final set including a pair of digs off of Carter’s hits. Emma Dunlap ’22 added three assists in the final set as Sophia Kouba ’22 picked up one of her two aces.

With the Eagles’ backups across the net, the team made a 5-0 run to cut the Wahlert lead to five before ultimately falling short 25-19.

The volleyball team plays in a tournament at Cedar Rapids Jefferson High School this Saturday.