Maryn
Maryn Reimers
Yearbook Social Media Editor

(she/her) Maryn is the social media editor and this is her third year on the Trojan Epic staff. She enjoys being on the dance team, swimming and reading.

Boys track and field takes home team title in rival’s Forewald-Coleman Relays

On a dreary day, the track and field teams got to work at the City High track April 18. In their last chance to qualify for Drake, several athletes came up big for the Trojans.

Both track teams headed across town to City High’s Forewald-Coleman Relays April 18. Despite a rainy start to the meet, the boys won the team title, while the girls produced strong performances in several events.

Boys

The boys started the night off strong with a win and meet record in the sprint medley relay. The team of Harel Gameti ’25, Daniel Robinson ’24, Izaiah Loveless ’24 and Moustafa Tiea ’25 ran 1:33.50, vaulting them to No. 2 in the state and No. 1 in 4A.

As the sun peeked out behind the clouds, the shuttle hurdle relay got ready to go. They placed second while eclipsing the Drake Blue Oval Standard in a time of 59.85. Aidan Jacobsen ’24, Quinn Abbott ’24, Waleed Ibrahim and Ely Smock ’26 improved to sixth in the state.

In the 100-meter dash, Loveless finished first, while Mason Woods ’25 earned points for his team as a third-place finisher. Loveless is tied for third in the state with a 10.65. Tiea added another title for West High, winning the 400 in a time of 50.15. Tiea has the ninth fastest time in the state with 49.50.

The Trojans won yet another race in the 4×200. The team of Todd Rent ’24, Woods, Juju Manson ’26 and Jacobsen won the race in 1:30.51. They already passed the Blue Oval Standard and are second in the state in that event.

Tiea earned his third title in the 800-meter run with a 1:55.82. Already having a Blue Oval Standard, Tiea passed it once again, having the third fastest time in the state. Sam Showers ’25 followed closely behind in second place. Shortly after, Woods got a second-place finish in the 200 with a 23.22.

The 400 hurdles were another outstanding event for the Trojans, with Jacobsen winning it in 53.89. He is first in the state in the event. The Trojans finished the night strong with a title in the 4×400. Already sixth in the state, the team of Showers, Manson, Brice Wahe ’25 and Tiea raced to a time of 3:26.76.

In the field events, Robinson jumped 5-11, good enough for a second-place finish, while senior Kendall Woodson ’24 got second place in the shotput with 50-06.75.

The boys will compete in the Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines April 25-27.

Girls

The girls found their stride in the shuttle hurdle relay, placing second with a time of 1:06.46. The team of Erinn Varga ’24, Jaylin Herring ’26, Eriniah Carter ’24 and Sophia Olivo ’25 are sixth in the state in the event.

The distance medley team of Annie Dickens ’25, Eva Willis ’26, Jena Frank ’26 and Kate Van Waning ’26 showed off their speed, finishing second with a time of 4:34.83. Olivo earned another medal with a first-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles with a 15.40. She is tenth in the state in the event.

Varga finished the strong showing of the hurdle events with a second-place finish in 1:07.11, tenth in the state in the event. In the field events, Sophia Austen ’27 placed third in the high jump with 4-11, while Helen Penning ’24 won the gold in the shot put with a throw of 37-02.

The girls will also compete in the Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines April 25-27.