Track and field: setting the season

West athletes look forward to the rest of the season after their first practice Feb. 19.
Henry Timmer-Hackert
The wall outside the lifting room that the Track and Field team meets inside.

As spring is nearing, athletes look forward to another season of track and field practices and meets. Track practices began this year on Feb. 19, and the first meet will be on March 4. The season is planned to run through May 9, with the state qualifying meet. If the team is eligible to go to state, they will go through May 16-18, finishing their season. 

West will host its final home meet and the end of the season for junior-varsity runners at the May 6 home meet. The season will also have the Drake Relays taking place on April 24-27, with qualifying athletes competing. Still for many athletes, what’s more important is what they’re looking forward to gaining from this season.

Many athletes are looking to achieve specific numbers or borders in their competitions. Scott Matsen ’26 is a thrower who is attempting to reach the goals he has set for himself.

“I honestly want to try and throw 50 in shot put, and at least get more power and full rotation in discus,” Matsen said.

Others are there for the team experience. Assistant Track Coach, Kenny Stellish, is looking forward to spending time competing with the team.

“I’d say I’m looking forward to going to meets and having fun,” Stellish said.

Still, many responded with a simple idea that was pushing them this season. Gabriella Ciliberto ’27 has only one main goal.

“I’m just thinking about getting better,” Ciliberto said.