Airi Thompson 24
Airi Thompson
Assistant News Editor

This is Airi's first year on staff, they are a senior. They are super excited to be this year's Assistant News Editor.

Trojans dominate the Bolts in double-header

The energy was high on the pitch as the Trojans and Bolts met for another intense double-header matchup.
Emma+Potthoff+25+and+Eno+Ituk+24+go+one+on+one+in+front+of+the+Liberty+goal+during+the+game+on+April+8.+
Zoe Smith
Emma Potthoff ’25 and Eno Ituk ’24 go one on one in front of the Liberty goal during the game on April 8.

Although the Trojans were not on home turf for the exciting game, they still dominated the pitch at Liberty High School.

Girls

The 3-1 girls soccer team has a new coaching staff this year after long-time coach Dave Rosenthal retired at the end of last season. Coming off an intense victory against Urbandale High School that ended in penalty kicks, the girls were ready to keep their streak going and take down one of their cross-town rivals, the Bolts.

With 2 seniors, Yuning Shao and Serene Hamzeh, out due to injury, the Trojans had some spots to fill on the field.

The first half started out intense, with the undefeated Bolts looking to secure their first win against the dominant West High soccer program.

Both teams had close shots on goal, with Liberty sophomore Callie Stanley hitting it off the post late into the first half. Anna Goska ’26 answered with a shot from inside the box, but Liberty goalie Ava Tague ’26 made a quick save to end out the first 40, 0-0.

After an intense halftime talk from coach Zach Serovy, the girls were ready to take the pitch again, hoping to secure a cross-town victory. The intense game-play continued, with University of Iowa commit Emma Pothoff ’25 having multiple shots on goal. Sophomore Lauryn Hynek kept the net clean, making several saves from the Liberty strikers.

Late into the fourth, with overtime on the horizon, Grinell commit Maya Mozena ’24 hit it into the box, and Ava Garcia ’24 finished it off in the back of the net, putting the first points on the board. With under 10 minutes left, the backline of Alyson Skala ’24, Diana Tivanskaya ’25, Vera Tanas ’25 and Alex Held ’26 held down the fort allowing the Liberty strikers to only get minimal shots on goal, which Hynek was able to save.

The Trojans came out on top and became closer to being city champs. They are looking to take down City High on May 13 for the title.

The girls will be back at Barker against Cedar Rapids Jefferson next Tuesday, April 16.

Boys

Shortly after the girls game concluded, the boys team took the pitch to begin their warmup. Coming off an 8-0 win at Davenport West on Thursday, the boys were looking to keep the same energy going.

Both Liberty and West were looking to defend their title as dominant programs in the state. The Bolts, defending 3A State Champions, coached by Matt Harding, came out fighting, looking to secure their first win against West.

Liberty senior and all-time leading scorer Flori Gembo had multiple shots on goal that West’s goalie, Jacob Gilliam ’24, was able to save.

West senior Kaleab Wendy had multiple opportunities to get points on the board for West but was unable to convert, as Liberty junior Conley Sundblad was able to save both a penalty kick and multiple shots from West’s attack.

During halftime, longtime West coach Brad Stiles fired the team up, and the boys came out with the energy to win in the second half.

With about 20 minutes remaining, Nicholas Zhang ’25 dribbled through the box and was able to put the ball at the back of the ne,t putting the first points on the board.

Shortly after, Daniel Fuentes ’25, got the ball from around 10 yards outside the box and made a long shot to solidify a 2-0 Trojan victory.

The Trojans were able to dominate the game and kept the Bolts quiet all night. The Trojans will be back at Barker field next Thursday against Prarie.