West vs. City soccer rivalry: More than just a game

Read about one of the most intense soccer rivalries in the Iowa City area, how it came to be and how it’s been going ever since.
The West and City High mascots display the intense soccer rivalry between the schools.
Minna Abdalla

In the heart of Iowa City lies a rivalry fostered by tradition and passion: the Iowa City West Trojans vs. the City High Little Hawks. For years, these two top-ranked high school soccer teams have created a passion in fans and players alike, making their matches one of the most anticipated events in town year after year. 

Not only has the rivalry received local attention, but it has significantly elevated the profile of girls’ and boys’ soccer at both schools. As proof of its magnitude, the rivalry soccer games are hosted at the University of Iowa soccer complex, a privilege that most other sports don’t have. Carlin Morsch ’18, a former standout player at West and now the junior varsity coach for West’s girls’ soccer team, explains how having a neutral site keeps the game as to this day. 

I think it’s still an intense game because it’s played at a neutral site and not having the home advantage

— Carlin Morsch

Iowa Soccer Club (ISC) is one of the many ways this rivalry sparks. The league starts kids out playing for this club as young as 4 or 5, through camp, practices or little league games. This creates connections and competitive spirits. To further the connections, teams get assorted into travel teams by age, truly fostering sibling-like connections. 

Maya Mozena, a junior on the varsity girls soccer team highlights how the rivalry between West and City is not just about playing against cross-town rivals, but also about competing against friends and club teammates of nearly a decade.

“I think that the West vs. City rivalry is always a fun game, where we not only play against our cross-town rivals, but girls who we’ve been friends and club teammates with for almost a decade,” Mozena said.

Morsch further emphasizes how the competition between the two schools was intense because you’re playing against players you have grown up with in the club circuit.

“It was a game where we had a little more edge while playing because some of us played club soccer together when we were not in high school season,” she said.

After years of club practices and weekend tournaments, the height of this rivalry draws hundreds of people from the Iowa City community and beyond each year. All eager to witness the final showdown and determine the better team and player.

Whether it’s the varsity girls’ or boys’ team, this game brings in a multitude of people from around the community. Abeer Guama ’26 describes how at times like last year the stands would be so full to the point where people would lay out their blankets and watch the game from the sidelines.

“Last year there were so many parents and students at the game that we would have to sit on the grass near the sidelines, it was such a great experience that brought everyone together,” Guama said.

Morsch further elaborates on her experience, explaining that during her time playing for the Trojans in high school, many people from both City and West would attend the game.

“A lot of people from both City and West would come to the games to support both girls’ and boys’ teams,” she said.

With the addition of Liberty High School in 2017 a new rivalry has started to emerge between West and Liberty. Even with the new addition of this school the West vs. Liberty game brought many people to watch and enjoy. Some people like Guama even compare the intensity of this rivalry to the one with City.

“There were a lot of people at the liberty game as well, and it was also pretty intense, especially because both teams are good,” she said. 

This year’s game against City will be hosted once again at the University of Iowa soccer complex May 13. The girls’ game will be at 5:15 p.m. and the boys’ at 7 p.m.. Many of the players are very excited for this year’s game, Mozena explains how the dynamic of the girls’ team is great especially with many players returning.

“I think that we have a really strong group of returners this year, who are super dynamic together,” she said.

I can’t wait to see how we compete against City, especially at the end of our season.

— Maya Mozena '24

The West vs. City rivalry is such a powerful one by not only bringing communities together but also fostering a sense of togetherness among the teams. Over the years, this competition has created passion among the players and observers alike. With their roots stretching back to club soccer the intensity and competition of this rivalry is unmatched. As people gather year after year to witness the showdown between these two schools, it becomes more than just a game.